Welfare And Workfare
BC’s welfare system discourages British Columbians from working. The welfare system should focus on providing education and work experience to create self-sufficient British Columbians who can appreciate their self worth.
- Make weekly educational programs a requirement for anyone receiving welfare payments.
- Create a Workfare program to ensure people who are able to work are required to do some work to receive welfare payments.
- Provide necessary support, like transit passes, childcare, and housing for recipients who work.
- Provide relevant educational opportunities for people on welfare in order to ensure they have the necessary skills to become self-sufficient.
- Hire unemployed single parents, currently receiving welfare, to provide childcare before and after school in order to allow other single parents the opportunity to work.
- Make educational classes about raising children a requirement for pregnant mothers on welfare.